Self Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA)
A self contained breathing apparatus, or SCBA, sometimes referred to as a compressed air breathing apparatus(CABA), air pack, or simply breathing apparatus (BA), is a device worn by rescue workers,firefighters, and others to provide breathable air in an IDLH (immediate danger to life and health) atmosphere. When not used underwater, they are sometimes called industrial breathing sets.
The term “self-contained” means that the breathing set is not dependent on a remote supply (e.g., through a long hose). If designed for use under water, it is called SCUBA (self-contained underwater breathing apparatus).
An SCBA typically has three main components: a high-pressure tank (e.g., 2,216 to 4,500 psi (15,280 to 31,000kPa)), a pressure regulator, and an inhalation connection (mouthpiece, mouth mask or face mask), connected together and mounted to a carrying frame.
MSA recently signed up as a sponsor with www.FireGrantsHelp.com, a free grant assistance program from FireRescue1.com. This initiative will allow us to become more in-tune to the grant process, identify grant awardees, and establish solid sales leads.
To take advantage of the program, fire departments must fill out a detailed form and select a preferred SCBA manufacturer. Leads selecting MSA are passed on to us while the Grants Team works with them in parallel.
This is considered a “white glove service,” meaning that every interested party is matched with a grant rep to walk them through the process.
Here’s the link to the MSA Fire Act Grant Assistance Application.
Please call with any questions: 800-822-2105
How It’s Made: MSA SCBA
G1 SCBA Care and Use
NFPA 2018 STANDARD UPDATES
- Two distinct actions required to remove the regulator: In order to disconnect the regulator from the facepiece, there must be two distinct actions taken by the user (i.e. press AND pull)
- Facepiece regulator connection strength test: Regulator connection requirements now require 56.2 pounds for pull testing
- Pneumatic data logging for SCBA specific events: The SCBA is required to record breathing rate and cylinder pressure which are to be timestamped
- Interoperability requirements between different SCBA manufacturers’ EBSS systems: The Emergency Breathing Safety System has been standardized regardless of manufacturer to allow for interoperability
- Update to common PASS alarms: The sound is now a universal tone, regardless of manufacturer. This was introduced in the 2013 Standard (Tentative Interim Agreement 13-2).
- Pass System radio (telemetry) functionality tests: Update to the functionality testing required for telemetry use.
MSA G1 SCBA
The all new MSA G1 SCBA has received U.S. Government approval from the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) and certification from the Safety Equipment Institute (SEI) as compliant to the 2013 Edition of the National Fire Protection Association’s (NFPA) 1981 and 1982 performance standards for SCBA!!
- G1 Facepiece is lightweight and compact: No electronics needed
- Control module provides both color LCD and analog displays
- Improved visibility through buddy lights and reflective material
- Heads up display (HUD) shows remaining cylinder pressure in 4 increments via colored LEDs
- Electronic communications are integrated into every unit
- MSA G1 SCBA ergonomics
- Central power system for all electronics
- Available in easily-upgradeable threaded or quick-connect cylinder attachment
The MSA G1 SCBA Remote-Mounted Quick-Fill System is the only front-mounted NIOSH approved and NFPA compliant system for recharging cylinders! This unique system rapidly recharges cylinders without the need to doff the SCBA, even in Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health (IDLH) environments.
MSA G1 SCBA Integrated TIC
The MSA G1 SCBA with Integrated Thermal Imaging Camera provides EVERY firefighter the ability to see in dark and smoke filled environments, aiding in the speed and effectiveness of your operation from the initial 360, to working the fire, overhaul and rescue. This sight is provided through a Thermal
Imaging Camera that is integrated into the G1 SCBA Control Module, eliminating the need to carry an addition piece of bulky equipment and the concern of an additional snag hazard.
G1 Facepiece with Twin Cartridge APR Adapter
G1 full face respirator adapter for air purifying and supplied air applications. Single or Twin port adapter snaps into place to cover a wide variety of respiratory applications, our APR adapter works with both NFPA and Industrial G1 facepieces, making the G1 facepiece platform ideal for industrial respiratory needs. The twin cartridge adapter can be used with the full line of both Advantage® and Comfo style respirator cartridges. The single port adapter can be used for industrial gas mask canisters and NFPA version facepieces can be adapted for CBRN APR protection. G1 NFPA Facepieces are available with Rubber or Kevlar harnesses and Industrial facepieces come with a polyester mesh harness for increased comfort.
MSA G1 PAPR Powered Air-Purifying Respirator
With its industry-leading motor-blower and constantly filtered air flow the belt-mounted G1 CBRN PAPR is ideal for first responders, military and special operations personnel who require non-IDLH respiratory protection for extended durations of time.
The G1 PAPR offers three proprietary cartridges designed for CBRN, particulate, and poisonous gases/vapors. The constant air flow of the unit helps users stay physically alert and focused, while also preventing fogging inside the facepiece. The batteries can be “hot-swapped,” and the blower’s EMI shield ensures that there is no interference with radio communications.
Key benefits of the G1 PAPR include:
- Constant filtered air flow, reducing fatigue and preventing facepiece fogging;
- Non-IDLH respiratory protection for up to eight hours;
- Compatible with existing fleet of MSA PAPRs, just add a G1 Facepiece,
- Choice of breathing tube, and G1 APR Adapter.
MSA G1 5500 SCBA
MSA’s tried-and-trusted G1 SCBA now comes available in a 5500 psig operating system. Our lowest profile, most comfortable, streamlined and balanced SCBA can now be configured with the lightest weight cylinders on the market today, reducing stress and fatigue while increasing maneuverability in confined spaces
Staying at the forefront of safety means constantly evolving to meet the ever-changing demands you face each day on the job. Helping meet these demands MSA’s tried-and-trusted G1 SCBA now comes available in a 5500 psig operating system. The MSA G1 offers our lowest profile, most comfortable, streamlined, balanced and configurable SCBA with the lightest weight 5500 psi cylinders on the market today, providing its users:
- Reduced stress and fatigue
- Increased maneuverability in tight spaces, reducing your chance of getting snagged, improving your mobility, and keeping you safer in dangerous environments
- 30-, 45-, or 60-minute duration cylinders allows you to keep the same operating system, while reducing weight, profile, additional training time and overall expenses.
MSA FireHawk® M7XT
Through NFPA, firefighters strive to improve the durability and performance of their SCBA and PASS devices. It’s no different with the new 2013 edition of NFPA 1981 and 1982 NFPA standards for self-contained breathing apparatus and personal alert safety systems (PASS). These revisions call for a minimum low pressure alarm set point of 33% cylinder operating pressure remaining, improved facepiece lens radiant heat performance, 500° F heat and flame exposure, and standardized PASS device alarm sound patterns.
In addition, NFPA has raised the bar on voice communication capability, now requiring measurable, minimum Sound Transmission Index (STI) scores for both mechanical and electronic communications.
MSA’s new FireHawk M7XT Air Mask represents a true technological achievement in critical firefighter protection.
As firefighters determined the safety requirements required to meet NFPA 1981 and 1982 2013-edition standards, MSA engineering teams began to design solutions. The new FireHawk M7XT Air Mask, with its life-safety design components built upon a modular air mask platform, exceeds NFPA 2013 requirements and provides firefighters with the highest quality SCBA available.
Warranty Repair and Service Center
Susquehanna Fire Equipment is a warranty repair and service center for SCBA’s.
For more information please call (800) 822-2105.
SFEC participates in CoStars through the Emergency Responder Loose Supplies category under contract 012-85